Sunday 23 November 2008

A Week With My Dad

First of all, I apologize to those of you who actually check our blog (i.e. Daisy)...I've been very delinquent in updating the blog these past few weeks. Truth is, we haven't been doing much since we were awaiting an action packed week with my parents last week. Unfortunately, only my dad could make the trip out here (we REALLY missed you Beth!) and we managed to get out and see some of Scotland on day trips from Dundee. Another unfortunate "spanner in the plans" was that my dad and I came down with food poisoning on Thursday and we were sick most of the day. Not fun. Luckily, it was just a 24 hour thing and we were back to touring on Friday.

On Wednesday, Nick took the day off and we went over to Dunkeld and Birnam which was about an hour's drive away from Dundee. The "big" tourist attraction is a Beatrix Potter exhibit and since I was a big fan when I was little, I forced Nick and my dad to go into this exhibit which was really aimed for children. I think they still had fun. (most of you are probably like "who is Beatrix Potter?". Just think Peter Rabbit.) In Dunkeld we went to the old cathedral there and saw this really cool tomb of The Wolf of Badenoch. His story is that he deserted his wife for some other lady and as a result, was excommunicated from the church. So in revenge, he burned down towns. Obviously he eventually made reparations since they gave him such a nice tomb!



After the cathedral, we took a walk in an area called the Hermitage which is just a woodland area by a stream. It was very pretty but I can imagine how beautiful it must be when we're not in the dead of winter! Nick took some cool water shots.



My favorite picture from the week is from the top of St. Rule's tower in St. Andrews. I actually took this picture (I usually give this task to "long-armed" Nick) so I'm pretty proud of myself.


4 comments:

Heather said...

I loved Beatrix Potter! Squirrel Nutkin was my fave.

Joe said...

me = totally offended. While I don't check your blog daily, I am notified immediately when you post. Isn't that more hardcore anyways?

Sounds like your enjoying the fine countryside!

Robyn said...

I check daily... hourly even! when will your next post be... I'm hanging on your every word!

And I just read "the Friday Night Knitting Club"...not the greatest book... chick lit... but it's about knitters... and they go to Scotland at one point! made me think of you Sam!

Happy Thanksgiving! You making a turkey?

Unknown said...

Did you go into Beatrix's little house with the drawings on the walls? I felt really tall in there. It was nice.