Thursday 9 April 2009

Transitional care, day one

Calvin lost a bit of weight today, but that was expected. Since he has to work for his food now instead of having it piped directly into his stomach, he and Sam need to reach an understanding about the whole feeding thing. Hopefully he'll be holding his own or gaining weight again when they measure him tomorrow, no big rush right now though. I was at work all day, but Aunt Mary kept Sam and Calvin company:
He was bathed for the first time, which looks like it was kind of funny based on the pictures I saw. Sam and the nurse gave him the bath today, tomorrow I'll get(?) to help out and Sam will show me what's going on.
(All nudity on this blog will be tasteful and sepia toned). He was wearing an outfit that was a cow print and had a tail today. Pretty hilarious. We didn't get a good picture of the tail, unfortunately. But it was funny.
Sam is doing well, except for sleep- the answer to 'did you sleep?' is 'no', when you're in a ward with four babies on different schedules, all trying to learn how to breastfeed. She is once again isolated from the outside world, but tomorrow I'll probably take over the Calvin-watch for a while so she can duck out into the main hospital, pirate some internet, and check her email. If the timing works out she'll try and call our parents too, so heads up.

2 comments:

Kari Vong said...

Calvin is adorable. I love reading the updates. You guys have produced a very fine human being.

Robyn said...

I appreciate the sepia toned nudity. It makes me much more comfortable if I can just imagine they are olde timey pictures. phew!

Good luck with that breast feeding Sam!! Stick with it... I don't think I've ever met anyone who said it was easy the first couple months!!