Thursday 5 March 2009

Day two

Today was a pretty decent day for Calvin. We went and saw him quite a few times, and Grandpa Paul arrived around noon and was pleased with what he saw. Quote of the day: "once you get past the fact that he's small, he's really quite cute".

Calvin is doing alright. He was fed his first drops of milk today (by fed, I mean pushing the plunger on a syringe), so that's good. He had a few episodes during the night and day when his heart rate slowed and oxygen saturation dropped- most of the time he was back in the swing of things after a bit of prodding, but a couple times they had to boost the oxygen in the air he's being given. Because of these blips it was decided not to have him out of the incubator for a repeat of yesterday's bonding time. So we didn't get to hold him today, but I held him up in the incubator while he was having his sheets changed, which was the first time I've done more than kind of hold onto his hand:
and here are two pictures after he was changed. He looked pretty comfortable after that, which was nice to see.


One of my long-standing disappointments about myself is that I'm a tremendous wimp when I see blood drawn. Cuts I'm fine with, but show me a vial filling up in a controlled medical setting and I get queasy. Today I discovered that filling a tiny vial from a prick on a baby's heel brings up the same reaction. Sad.

Sam says hi to everyone- while she doesn't have any internet access yet, I've loaded up your emails from the last few days on my laptop to show her in the morning, and they've really helped cheer her up in some gloomier moments.

4 comments:

Joe said...

Glad to hear that everything is looking good. He is looking quite dashing. And you know, take it from me, there is nothing wrong with being smaller. I never have problems with space on airplanes and I never have to worry about hitting my head in buildings. See? All to the good!

Rose said...

Barb and I are sitting here and she is having trouble getting a comment through. So we'll try again.

Way to to go and we're thinking of you and try and get some rest. I am looking forward to seeing you all.

Barb said...

this is a test. I've been trying to send you a comment for 2 days, now let's try again.

Just wanted to congratulate you and wish you all the best. We look forward to your updates and am sending our love to ALL of you.

Unknown said...

Sam and Nick,
Hang in there. Your hearts must be living outside your bodies these days - fluttering around like anxious birds inside that incubator. Our fervent wishes for more and longer bonding times are rushing out to you. I'm having trouble putting powerful feelings into words as I'm sure you must be as well. Bless that little boy!
love,
Nada, (and Tony and Dante)